Forza Viola!

One of the most vibrant cultural pastimes in Italy is the game of socceror calcio. The national obsession with what is popularly known as “the beautiful game” is a real one and is something I was hoping to see first hand during my time here. Luckily I had the chance to go to see Florence’s soccer team, La Fiorentina, play at the city stadium. Going to a soccer game is a big production so myself and the other students attending were happy to be accompanied by former Holy Cross Italian foreign language assistant extraordinaire, Rachele.

The walk to the stadium in a mass of purple-clad fans and the climb to our seats took on an almost ritualistic character. Many Florentines make the trek to the match with children in tow and there’s a palpable camaraderie in the air.   As the game begins, there’s intermittent chanting and singing from the opposing fans with the majority of the crowd joining in.

La Fiorentina dominated the field scoring three goals with each being met by standing up to cheer the name of the goal scorer and chant “Forza Viola!” The atmosphere was overwhelming, and I can see why such passions can flare in the midst of the historical rivalries and athletic skill that have come to define Italian soccer.